Sunday, October 16, 2011

*crickets*

Well, it's been awfully quiet around here lately... 
Apologies to any readers that might be lurking for the lack of posts, though I suppose my disappearance doesn't help much with increasing traffic.

To explain myself, life has been, in a word, busy. My first year at a real public school began, I've been drowning in homework, and, as a slightly positive change, there is now a Boy, and that's why I'm posting today.

As it turns out, the Boy's second favorite dessert in the universe is apple crisp, and I happen to be overloaded with apples, and had (seemingly) nothing to do with them. (For the record, his first favorite is cherry pie, which I despise.) 

So, after being given this news, I rolled up my sleeves, dug through my kitchen, and dove into this recipe. 
Little did I know that 
(a), it is dangerously easy, and therefore addictive to make, and 
(b), one of the hardest desserts to STOP eating... eep.

Lucky for him, the Boy is a runner, so at least HE had nothing to worry about... myself, on the other hand, am more often covered with flour and sugar than sweat, and prefer getting my arm workout by stirring cookie dough.

Let's begin, shall we?

note: I made a HUGE batch, so don't freak if yours doesn't look like as much as the picture when you follow the recipe.


First, ingredients are kind of necessary for apple crisp... I recommend having apples on hand... hmm?

 



Peel and core a few apples, then slice fairly thinly and spread in a pan.




Get going on the topping! (I'd heat up your oven about now... I always forget)
Blend up sugar, flour, oats, and spices in a food processor. It should look a bit like this.




Chop up some butter and add it to the party! What are you waiting for?!




Mix mix mix... 
You want some good sized bits of butter in there, don't murder it!




Crumble it over the apples, and try to keep the topping bits irregular enough to have some nice texture.




Bake it up, put it on a plate, and give it to your Boy, or just somebody you love. :)




Full recipe-

Apple Crisp
(recipe adapted from shutterbean)
serves about 8... or one very hungry Boy.

8 apples
12 tablespoons butter, chilled
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt (only if you use unsalted butter)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger

1) Peel and core the apples, then slice and spread evenly in a pan.
2) Combine all the dry ingredients with a food processor.
3) Chop the butter into small pieces and blend them with the dry ingredients until it looks like very coarse sand, and sticks to itself enough to just hold together, then crumbles.
4) Sprinkle over the apples until they are just covered. 
5) Bake at 375 F, for 50-55 minutes, until the crisp is brown, and the apples are soft and bubbling.


Enjoy!
    G

No comments:

Post a Comment