Saturday, November 26, 2011

bread and thanksgiving.

I know, I know, late thanksgiving post, but I didn't want to spend my thanksgiving on the computer instead of with family.
Thanksgiving was very low-key this year, my family just drove up to meet some cousins (and their six dogs and 5+ birds...), we shared stories from the year, and ate amazing food. All of the leftovers went to great-uncles and cousins, but today I decided I'd make some warm, simple, homemade bread.



Bread is such a perfect, mellow food. When it's being made, you can't help but be calm. It smells lovely at every phase, from the earthy scent of the yeast foaming away in warm water, to the floury, cozy smell of bread in the oven that fills the whole house.
I think that, in itself, is enough to be thankful for.

I used my mother's recipe, which involves a bread machine, so if you don't have one, just mix it by hand and let it rise in the bowl.


First off, gather your ingredients- water, flour, yeast, and salt.

ingredients...



Warm the water, and pour into the bread machine (or a bowl). Sprinkle the yeast over the top, and let it settle for just a moment before adding the flour.

about to mix.



Set the machine to the dough setting, and let it work.
Or, if you don't have a machine, mix the dough until it's thoroughly combined.

mix mix mix...


Let it rise in the machine, it will stay the right temperature. Or cover with a tea towel, and let rise in a warm place for about an hour.

WOAAHHHH. you done got big!



Turn out onto a floured surface, cut in half, then shape into two loaves. Place on a greased and cornmeal coated pan, then let rise for another hour.

pre-rising, I forgot to take a picture after it rose again.



Bake at 450ยบ until it's done (I didn't time it, but mine went a tiny bit too long)
Slice, and enjoy plain, or with some butter and a smudge of jam.

yum.

3 1/2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of yeast
1 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of water (warmed)


happy late thanksgiving.
      -g

No comments:

Post a Comment